Launch of ICON — the International Counter Olympics Network
Thursday 26th July (in London SE1)
The public launch of the network is at 7pm; this is preceded by a planning meeting at 4pm. Details are as follows…
The venue for both meetings is:
Second floor meeting room
5 Westminster Bridge Road
London SE1 7XW
(Nearest tubes are Lambeth North, Waterloo, and Elephant and Castle. Further details from http://feministlibrary.co.uk/visit-us/)
From 4 pm: There will be a discussion among campaigning groups and interested individuals about how to take the international campaign forward.
Topics to be covered might include:
1. Supporting campaigners from places we know the Olympics will be going to, such as Sochi and Rio.
2. Learning from cities who successfully campaigned in the past, either to stop it coming altogether, eg Chicago and Denver, or who resisted
valiantly, eg Vancouver.
3. How to stop it going to cities in the future.
4. The role of campaigns against Olympics sponsors and related multinational corporations.
5. Tackling the IOC direct.
6. Doing research and analysis to backup action on issues of common concern, and identifying those overarching issues.
At 7 pm: Public Meeting to launch ICON — the International Counter Olympics Network
As the Five-Ring Circus marches into town, we know that what London is facing is the same kind of problems as every other city that hosts an Olympics for the 1%, and we want to stop that.
Come and hear about actions being taken by campaigners around the world and join the discussion about how we can develop our international network, as we welcome speakers and films from other host cities, international campaigners against Olympic sponsors, United Students Against Sweatshops, and others.
If you can’t make the meetings on Thursday but are interested in being kept in touch with ICON developments, make contact by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ICON”.